The pueblo is known historically for its baskets made of yucca fronds.
While this is no longer an active art form at Jemez, some well-known jewelers, potters, and storyteller doll makers live there. Now the Laguna Reclamation Project is attempting to restore the mining site.
The Pueblo people were visited by a number of large Spanish exploratory expeditions in the sixteenth century, beginning with Coronado in 1540.
These expeditions brought diseases for which the Pueblos had no resistance and resulted in large population decreases before the Spanish finally colonized New Mexico with the expedition of Juan de Oñate in 1598.
By the end of the severe, prolonged droughts in the late fourteenth century they had relocated to the vicinity of their modern communities primarily located within the watershed of the upper Rio Grande River Valley in New Mexico and the watershed of the Little Colorado River in Arizona.
The pueblo tribes represent several distantly related language families and dialects, and they have continued to maintain close contact with each other since the arrival of Europeans in the region in the sixteenth century.
Today the 19 pueblos of New Mexico cooperate in a loose confederation called the All Indian Pueblo Council.
Their ancient ruins, particularly Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings, are among the most spectacular ancient ruins in North America.
The Pueblo V period (1540-present) featured the adjustments Pueblo peoples have had to make due to the arrival of Europeans in the region.
By 1700 only Zuñi, Acoma, Taos, Picuris, and the Hopi had not moved their locations since the arrival of the Spanish.
The Pueblo people suffered severe disruptions of their lives and cultures during the long Spanish colonization of New Mexico.
During the Spanish era the number of pueblos in New Mexico was reduced from somewhere between 70 and 100 pueblos to 19.