This important religious structure is not protected by the Dallas Landmark status, putting it at increased risk for demolition as part of future redevelopment of the area.FLORENCE HALL AND THE HERITAGE BUILDINGS OF SMU – SMU Main Campus The Southern Methodist University main campus was carefully planned in 1911 by its founding president Robert S.
As a university that is continuing to grow there is increased pressure on the older heritage buildings for replacement with larger and more up-to-date facilities for the students.
It is affectionately known as the “Rock of Truth” building due to the inscription on the building’s front façade, which was taken from a 1906 address to employees by vice president and general manager of the corporation at the time, George Dealey.
The Dallas Morning News began publication on October 1, 1885 in conjunction with the pre-existing Galveston News.
By that time the area around it had become deteriorated and members moved to other Christian Science congregations.
The building was purchased in 1999 and the new owner completed a renovation of the dilapidated structure which included a new roof, restoration of the metal dome, repair of the exterior masonry, and restoration of the interior along with installing dressing rooms, restrooms, and box office into the original structure.