Stretched along the Ohio Bank east of downtown were Pendleton, Fleettown, and Fulton, in that order.
Beyond them were Columbia, Tusculum, and Linwood, which retained their names.
READING; One of the original settlers in that area came from Reading, England. Railroad which had made the town possible MONTGOMERY; The founder of the town came from the town of Montgomery in New York. LUDLOW AVENUE; Named after Israel Ludlow one of the first surveyors in the county. VERNONVILLE; Near what is now Oak and Burnet was a florist who called his place the Vernon. The 1912 Rand-Mc Nally map above has been reduced by 40%, but it is still VERY large so be prepared to wait while it loads.
SHARONVILLE; Was named after the Biblical Sharon, where the roses bloomed. Glenn the owner of Glenn Farm that was in the area. HARRISON; Obviously named after William Henry Harrison. WALNUT HILLS; The hills at that time were covered with walnut trees. In 1859 it was suggested that the little settlement be called Vernon Gardens which, eventually, became Vernonville. It is the most detailed and clear map that I have put up, showing all streetcar routes and, of course, the Canal route.
AVONDALE; There are two explanations: The mother of Stephen Burton, who was a lover of Shakespeare, (first Mayor of Avondale, Burton Ave., Burton Elementary) Suggested the name in honor of the Bard of Avon. WYOMING; The people in the area threw a party and Mr. COLERAIN; (town & Street) were named by John Dunlop, friend & advisor of John Cleves Symmes, who was born in Colerain, Ireland. The collecting of postcards is known as Deltiology.
The other explanation is that there was a omnibus who made the trip to Cincinnati and back to the town once a day. Reilly (Reilly Road) asked for suggestions and Wyoming was the result. MADEIRA; It is the name of an early settler, John Madeira who was also treasurer of the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, forerunner of the B&O mainline that ran through the town. EVENDALE; The land in this area is flat as a billiard table. In 1945 professor Randall Rhoades of Ashland, Ohio gave the postcard hobby its official name.
O'Bryonville was first called Dutchtown before the area turned from German to Irish in nature.Indian trouble caused the Federal government to build Fort Washington in 1789. Within 15 days he led the army to victory over the enemy. The Society of the Cincinnati was started by, and consisted of, Continental Army officers of the American Revolution. Clair called the County Hamilton in honor of the first Secretary of the Treasury of the new nation. According to popular belief, Cincinnati was, like Rome, built on seven hills. The name probably came from the fact that it overlooked the valley of Deer Creek, where the slaughter houses were.Cincinnati was incorporated as a town on January 1, 1802. Nobody seems to know, if true, what the original seven hills were. The other hills mentioned are Clifton Heights, Price Hill, Fairview Heights, Mt. Those factories gave Deer Creek the nickname of Bloody Run, (which gave the name to Bloody Run Road, later renamed Victory Parkway after WWI. Bridgetown North - Cherry Grove - Covedale - Dent - Dillonvale - Dry Run - Finneytown - Forestville - Fruit Hill - Grandview - Groesbeck - Kenwood - Loveland Park - Mack North - Mack South - Monfort Heights East - Monfort Heights South - Mount Healthy Heights - Northbrook - Northgate - Pleasant Run Farm - Pleasant Run - Sherwood - Turpin Hills - White Oak East - White Oak West - White Oak. Women were advised to avoid this area where they were likely to be exposed to bad language and squirts of tobacco juice. Blue Ash - Cheviot - Cincinnati - Deer Park - Fairfield - Forest Park - Harrison - Indian Hill - Loveland - Madeira - Milford - Montgomery - Mount Healthy - North College Hill - Norwood - Reading - Sharonville - Silverton - Springdale - St. Addyston - Amberley Village - Arlington Heights - Cleves - Elmwood Place - Evendale - Fairfax - Glendale - Golf Manor - Greenhills - Lincoln Heights - Lockland - Mariemont - Newtown - North Bend - Terrace Park - Woodlawn. It was written that "sometimes several nights would pass without anyone being killed" (W. This was because there were so many saloons along that stretch that the sidewalks were filled with loiterers and drunks.